Is your diphthong showing?

A diphthong, as you know, is a gliding monosyllabic speech sound that starts at or near the articulatory position of one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another. Thank you Mirriam-Webster. I didn’t even know ‘articulatory’ was a word. This, my friends, is why no one on the planet can understand English grammar rules. I found myself in this boggling situation trying to explain why the past tense of ‘ring’ is not ‘ringed.’ It’s one of those weirdo mysteries of life, I tell my students.

Anything you find weird about the English language? (Please make sure when you respond, none of your participles are left dangling. Now that’s just plain embarassing!)

3 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Anni Watkins on June 15, 2012 at 3:15 am

    Is dipthong an accepted/preferred spelling of diphthong in America?



  2. Posted by Suzan Michet on February 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

    Having a struggling reader in the house (my son), I can testify that pronounciation in the english language is so weird. As soon as we have a rule – “Two vowels together, the first one says it’s name” – we find a word that breaks the rule, for example “breaks” ! And don’t even start me on the silent letters – knife, tonight, February …



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: